Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Summer Workshop 2010

I'm feeling a bit different about the world right now. It's nothing that I can define, nor do I feel the need to go there. I had a fantastic time in Larkspur. There were some tears (of sorrow, for my fellow Masons who lost a beloved friend and were weeping during his Masonic funeral... which was fantastic, by the way, I'm so going that route! Also of joy when I had a very special moment of my very own) but it was all-around amazing.

I just love the people. I felt it even more this time at workshop than last. I was in the Wycherly guest house which not only has dorms, but also the kitchen and dining areas. It's a pretty crazy place sometimes with over 70 people attending workshop this year. Can you imagine even 40 people talking all at once? I had to take a few sanity breaks before I was completely overwhelmed.

I feel very under-read. I met this one gentleman named Qamar who has read so much it boggles the mind, especially when you consider he just turned 30. He has researched so many religions and ancient civilizations and he has all this information just crammed into his brain. Any subject that came up and it was, "in Babylon..." etc, etc. I told him he needs to start a blog and have a reading suggestion list. I would love to get my hands on the bibliographies in his brain!

I accidentally got some extra time with Maximo (he teaches the newbies, or as he would say, he hangs out and talks) and it was awesome. It was the same dialogue as last year (the troublemaker is very Socratic in his discussions and he seems to delight in forcing you to figure things out yourself by poking and prodding you) and I'm glad I was there because there was so much that I had forgotten. It helped me by reinforcing the idea of creating a barrier between yourself and the outer world and deciding what you allow through. We have that power and so few of us realize... it was a great reminder.

I got a chance to chat with one of our oldest members, Nellie. She is a very interesting person. She was a hero in the Korean war - she flew planes. Yes, a woman pilot, way back then... she was the only woman out of 100 people in her unit and luckily had a very wise, open-minded group leader who thought gender was not relevant to the job. I would love more time to talk to her, I'm thinking of starting a snail mail correspondence. She was sweet enough to give me a gift certificate to the book store at headquarters. I had hoped to ask her to put an inscription in the book I bought, but perhaps next year. There is another lady, Ursula, who is an elder member. I find it so frustrating as her hearing is poor and it is next to impossible to have a discussion with her. I found out from others that she has two PhDs... I'd love to chat with her a bit. I tried at one point, but even speaking very close to her ear, it was difficult and it must have been extra frustrating for her! Or perhaps she enjoys the silence, it can get pretty loud when we all get going.

Then there was Tony and Lisa (and her parrot Sheba, of course). They are such great people. And bird. Sheba really liked me, she even sat on my head. Tony has quite a few tumors and it is amazing how he just smiles through life and looks on the bright side. I'm so thankful he came this year and last, because visiting with him is an absolute joy. I didn't have much opportunity last year to visit with Lisa, but this year was different and she is a great lady. Next year hopefully they can make the whole workshop so we can have more time together.

I also got a really good roommate, Riley. She is a newbie and it was a little tough as there are certain things I couldn't discuss with her (and wouldn't want to as it would take something from her to do so) but we had fun hanging out together and she was very cool, she even let me use her phone to get on the internet as there is no wireless for my iTouch and the internet there is pretty sketchy.

I just loved it, if you haven't got that already, haha! I went for a week after that to visit a friend in Portland and I think the order should have been reversed. It's a bit tough on a person to go from an environment where everyone is discussing esoteric subjects and it's a vegetarian, drug-free, alcohol-free, swearing-free environment back into 'real life' where things do not travel in that vein. It was a pretty huge culture shock and I would have liked to have more time for introspection after my week in Larkspur. I have that opportunity now, but my brain is still a little bit frazzled and I think it will take a few days to settle down. I'm sure things are at work within me, I don't necessarily have to be conscious of them to reap the benefits.

Now off to bed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment